February Homeowner Tips
Now that February has arrived, here’s a list of things you should do around your home before the month is over:
- Remove and thoroughly clean drain traps under sinks.
- Inspect grout and caulk around tubs, sinks and showers. Chip out cracked grout and replace missing grout. Note: Stained, discolored and mildewed caulk should be cleaned with trisodium phosphate (TSP) or other household cleaners. If the caulk remains discolored, remove it and replace it with fresh, mildew-resistant caulk.
- Refinish furniture in a heated garage or workspace equipped with ventilation fans.
- Musty closet odors can be reduced or eliminated by removing the closet’s contents and washing walls with a diluted solution of chlorine bleach. Note: If the mustiness is the result of moisture, find the source and correct it. Otherwise the problem will come back.
- To keep valves from sticking and check for leaks, turn all water valves off and on. This includes outdoor faucets and valves to toilets, bathroom and kitchen sinks, laundry, bar, etc.