What do you know about Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving traditions aren’t quite as straightforward as the elementary school plays about Pilgrims and Native Americans sharing a feast would have us believe. History.comsuggests that’s because Thanksgiving is, “…an invented tradition. It doesn’t originate in any one event. It is based on the New England puritan Thanksgiving, which is a religious Thanksgiving, and the traditional harvest celebrations of England and New England and maybe other ideas…”1
See what you know about Thanksgiving by taking this quiz:
- Where was the first Thanksgiving in America?2, 3
- San Elizario, Texas in 1598
- Berkeley Plantation in Virginia in 1619
- Plymouth Plantation in Massachusetts
- All of the above, possibly
- Which of the Founding Fathers thought the turkey should be the national bird of the United States?1
- George Washington
- Thomas Jefferson
- Benjamin Franklin
- John Adams
- Which department store was the first to sponsor a Thanksgiving Day parade?1
- Marshall Field’s
Whether it’s invented or not, we enjoy the tradition! What’s better than feasting, football, family, and gratitude? We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
- D – All three claim the original event.
- C – Benjamin Franklin.
- B – Gimbels.
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you. Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc. a Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory Services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. a Registered Investment Advisor.